Summer is heating up!! Which, for us, means lots of trips to the libraries, Children’s Museum, and anywhere else that has air conditioning. Some of our favorite library finds so far are the Tilly and Friends series by Polly Dunbar; the stories are simple enough for the girls to follow and the pictures are pretty enough to keep mommy interested 😉 Check if they have them in a library near you! On a side note, the libraries here all have reading programs, where if you have the patience to log each book you and/or your child read (or even just look at) there are rewards involved! They even have an adult program, and one of our libraries is giving away a Nook! Maybe I will try for it. (As if the girls would just let me sit there and read a book…)
We have also been watching more movies than I would care to admit… but after naptime, during midday, sometimes it’s just too hot to be outside where we belong. There’s only so many times you can hit up the pools and splash pads. So here’s a roundup of our top 5 favorites that we can (and do) watch over and over again.
5) Toy Story 3. Yes, I admit- the choice is somewhat obvious, what kid doesn’t love Woody and Jessie and Buzz?? But seriously. The storyline is so sweet. You’ll want to hug your littles and take an extra video of them playing– grateful that, at least for now, they are still little.
4) Kung Fu Panda. The first one. The second one was just “meh”. Po’s determination to not give up and the revelation– “there’s NO secret ingredient!!” brings a new standard of confidence. Ska-doosh!
3) The Incredibles. And not just for their house. The message of being comfortable in your own skin and being strong enough to be yourself gets some major points in my book. But really, (spoiler alert!) did they HAVE to blow up that fantastic house in the last scene?! Boo!!! However– I’d still put in my vote for an Incredibles 2.
2) Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. For which there WILL be a sequel. Flint Lockwood strikes again!
And finally our favorite all time movie…
1) Meet the Robinsons. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, and you’ll want to adopt a kid. Softies beware. But mostly you’ll laugh. Oh, and “Don’t sass me boy, I know karate!!” has become a common saying in our house. Honorable mentions for The Emperors New Groove, The Muppets, all of the Madagascars, and Monsters Inc.